Tips for a Healthier Home
- Wash all clothing, linens, etc. before wearing.
- Use laundry detergents free of scents and dyes; use ¼ cup baking soda in the last rinse cycle for fabric softener; use toilet tissue free of dyes and scents.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables with warm water and a small amount of Ivory dish soap before using.
- Substituting for household cleaners;
- Scouring Powder-Bon Ami
- Glass cleaner-1 Tbs. Vinegar to one-gallon water
- Furniture Polish-1 part lemon juice to 2 parts olive oil.
- Pest Control:
- Roaches-boric acid or Roach Prufe
- Ants-boric acid mixed with honey
- Kitchen Beetles-1 bay leaf in flour, sugar, cornmeal, etc. (Although these are acceptable alternatives, use precautionary measures around pets and children.)
- Store paints, pesticides, lighter fluid, charcoal starter, etc. in outdoor storage shed or garage.
- Crack open a window or open a door to ventilate while painting or cleaning until fumes are gone.
Substitutes can be found for most chemicals used in the home.
Please contact the Kotsanis Institute at 817-481-6342 for more information or to schedule an appointment.